News & Announcements
Change in 2016 Mathematics SOL Implementation Timeline
VDOE Mathematics Coordinator Tina Mazzacane discusses the recently announced delay of the introduction of state math tests based on the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning until spring 2019. More information in Superintendent's Memo #043-18.
End-of-Course Mathematics SOL tests administered in the fall of 2018 will continue to assess the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and include field test items measuring the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning. For updated implementation timeline and additional information, go to Superintendent's Memo 043-18.
Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) – Adopted 2009
- The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the mathematics content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
- Test Blueprints provide information on how SOL assessments and VMAST assessments are constructed.
- Enhanced Scope and Sequence (ESS) Sample Lesson Plans are aligned with the 2009 Mathematics SOL Curriculum Framework; searchable by keyword and SOL.
- SOL Practice Items and VMAST Practice Items (based on the 2009 Mathematics SOL) provide examples of state assessment items.
- Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results.
Standards of Learning
|All Mathematics||2016 Standards and Curriculum Framework|
Standards of Learning
Resources for Instruction & Assessment
|Standards||Curriculum Framework||Standards of Learning (SOL) Test||Virginia Modified
|All Mathematics||Word | PDF||NA||NA||NA||
Computer Adaptive Testing – Includes CAT informational videos and resources
Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results
ESS Sample Lesson Plans – Searchable by keyword and SOL
Instructional Videos for Teachers – Videos provided as support for the implementation of the 2009 Mathematics SOL
SOL Practice Items in TestNav 8 – Provide examples of the new content
VMAST Practice Items in TestNav 8 – practice items provide examples of supports and simplifications applied to test items to make them more accessible to eligible students with disabilities.
Released SOL Tests & Item Sets – Tests and item sets representative of the content and skills included in the Virginia SOL tests
Plain English Mathematics Information (PDF) – Provides information about Plain English tests and includes examples of Plain English items
Mathematics Crosswalk Between the 2009 and 2001 Standards (PDF) – Provides detail on changes included in the 2009 Mathematics SOL
|Kindergarten||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Grade 1||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Grade 2||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Grade 3||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *||NA|
|Grade 4||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *||NA|
|Grade 5||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *||NA|
|Grade 6||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *||NA|
|Grade 7||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *||NA|
|Grade 8||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *|
|Algebra I||Word | PDF||Word | PDF|
|Geometry||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Algebra II||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *||NA|
|Trigonometry||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Algebra II & Trigonometry||Word | PDF||N/A||NA||NA|
|Algebra, Functions & Data Analysis||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Computer Mathematics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Probability & Statistics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Discrete Mathematics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
|Mathematical Analysis||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA||NA|
* This document has been revised.
Mathematics Performance Expectations define the level of achievement students must reach to be academically prepared for success in entry-level credit-bearing college courses. The expectations were developed through the College & Career Readiness Initiative – a process that involved faculty from Virginia's two- and four-year colleges and universities, members of the business community and high school educators.
- College & Career Ready Performance Expectations (PDF)
- Mathematics Capstone Course Information
- Correlation of Virginia’s Mathematics Performance Expectations with Virginia’s 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning (PDF)
- Ancillary Test Materials
Ancillary test materials include mathematics formula sheets for grades 6-8 and End-of-course Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II; the Table of Standard Normal Probabilities (z-table); sample grid paper; and Chemistry Periodic Table of the Elements.
- SOL Practice Items
Practice items provide examples of the new content and increased rigor of the 2009 Mathematics SOL – including examples of new technology-enhanced items for grades 6-8, Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II. Technology-enhanced items allow students to indicate their responses in ways other than multiple choice.
- Approved Calculators for the Virginia Standards of Learning Assessments (PDF)
This chart lists the approved calculators for use on the mathematics Standards of Learning assessments, listed by grade level.
Virginia's 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics
- Comparison of Virginia’s 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (PDF)
- More about the Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards