News & Announcements
Board of Education Public Hearings – Superintendent of Public instruction Steven R. Staples and Board of Education President Billy K. Cannaday Jr. discuss the series of public hearings the board has scheduled for this summer on proposed changes to the Standards of Accreditation, Virginia's plan to implement the federal Every Student Succeeds Act and on the state board's comprehensive plan. For more information, go to Public Meetings and download the Public hearing handouts on Standards of Accreditation, Profile of a Virginia Graduate and ESSA State Plan-This is a PDF document. (PDF).
The Board of Education is developing a new vision for the commonwealth’s public schools that focuses on continuous improvement for all schools and aligning student outcomes with the expectations of higher education and employers from all sectors. These initiatives include developing Virginia’s plan to implement the new federal Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 and revising the Standards of Accreditation to reflect new graduation requirements and school accountability standards.
The Board of Education is revising the Standards of Accreditation (SOA) to ensure that all children in the commonwealth have access to public schools that pursue academic excellence and continuous improvement while preparing their students for success in college and the workplace. Revisions to the SOA will be aligned with the state’s ESSA implementation plan and the Profile of a Virginia Graduate. For more information on what the board is considering, read the Proposed Revisions to the SOA -This is a PDF document. (PDF).
ESSA replaces No Child Left Behind and provides states with flexibility to improve accountability systems, assessments and overall approaches to school improvement. The Board of Education approved its plan to implement ESSA at its July business meeting. The plan will be submitted to the U.S. Department of Education in September. For more information, read Virginia’s ESSA State Plan -This is a PDF document. (PDF).
- The Board approved proposed revisions to Parts I-VII of the SOA -This is a PDF document. (PDF).
- The Board will begin discussions on updating its Comprehensive Plan -This is a PDF document. (PDF). The Comprehensive Plan provides the Board’s framework for the policy development and strategies necessary to achieve their mission, vision, and goals for public education.
- The Board will approve proposed revisions to Part VIII of the SOA in June 2017 and submit the entirety of the proposed changes, including earlier revisions to Parts I-VII, for executive review; pursuant to the Administrative Process Act (the proposed changes must become effective for the freshman class of 2018-2019). A draft of the proposed amendments to the SOA -This is a PDF document. (PDF) is now available.
- The ESSA state plan will be considered and approved by the board (the plan must be submitted to U.S. Department of Education by September 2017).
- The Board will hold a series of public hearings in June, July, and August to gather information and comments from families, educators, and community members. For more information, go to Public Meetings and download the Public hearing handouts on Standards of Accreditation, Profile of a Virginia Graduate and ESSA State Plan-This is a PDF document. (PDF).
- The Board will finalize its Comprehensive Plan -This is a PDF document. (PDF).